Thursday, September 22, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love....

For those of you sad souls who have not had the grand fortune of hearing of the book "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert, I am sad for you. It is an AMAZING story, and I have not been able to get it off my mind for a loonnnggg time now.
Go out. Buy the book. Read it. Rethink your life. 
And make up crazy life plans.
Possible side-effects of this: You won't be able to think about anything else. Ever.
BUT it's totally worth it.



Basic premise of this book:
A woman wakes up in a life she thought she always wanted, and realizes that she doesn't know who she is and that she doesn't want her life anymore. She (extremely regretfully) divorces her husband of 8 years, and after about 3 years (I think) takes a year to travel. 
She spends 4 months each in Italy, India, and Indonesia (Bali specifically) and she learns about life. She learns about herself and what she needs to be happy.
She learns how to eat shamelessly, how to connect to God, and how to love. How to love herself, and eventually how to love others.

It is a beautiful story, and I believe that every single person who has ever had any self-doubt or an urge to do something crazy like that should READ THIS BOOK.
Or at least see the movie with Julia Roberts. (and multiple steamy men)



Honestly, all I want to do is take some time off from school and go to Italy. I want to eat fattening Italian food, paint outside in the gorgeous Italian air, and be flirted with by beautiful Italian men.

Yep. This is freaking gorgeous.
Hey guess what. This guy right here is Italian. 
Um yes. I could eat this every single day for the rest of my stinking life. FOR SURE.




BUT then my alarm clock goes off, and I have to get up for work. At Taco Bell. Where I make minimum wage. And I remember that the sad reality is that only the rich have the luxury of calling the shots in their own lives.
Sad, really. I could be an excellent rich person. I love doing what I want and spending money carelessly.

Someday I'll make it. I'll study under some weird little-known Italian master of art, and become amazing. And I will have time to actually think. And feel. And figure out what makes the world beautiful. And find out what makes people do the things they do. What makes people fall in love over and over and get hurt over and over, and STILL pick themselves up and start again. I want to see what makes people smile. I want to capture it all and bring it home.

BUT here's the sad thing: I have no money. Bummer.

Here's the thing: This is my dream. And I will get there somehow. I HAVE to get there. And I will. 

Just watch me.





Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home